Michael is famous for incredibly complex and technically accomplished dishes — he has 2 Michelin stars and 5 AA Rosettes for a reason.
His eel mousse with accompaniments looks and tastes divine – but it’s definitely not for the faint-hearted chef! We’re very excited about seeing him demo it in our Chef’s Theatre – here’s a taster of what you’re in for…
Ingredients for the mousse
300g eel trim
80g unsalted butter
12g double cream
½ lemon juice
2 drops of tabasco
- Put the eel and cream into a robot coupe food processor and blend until combined.
- Slowly add the soft butter
- Add lemon juice and season with paprika and tobacco
- Pass through drum sieve until smooth and set over ice
Ingredients for the apple gel
Juice of 8 granny smith apples
1.2g agar per 100g of juice
- Bring juice to the boil, add the agar.
- Sit into a tub and chill
- Once set, place into a blender and blend until smooth
Ingredients for the alsace reduction
100g alsace bacon (diced)
1 clove of garlic
4 springs of thyme
300 ml of sweet cider
100ml chardonnay vinegar
- Add all the ingredients to a sauce pan, slowly reduce until a syrup
- Pass through a sieve
Ingredients for the horseradish emulsion
3 egg yolks
60g horseradish cream
15g hot water
11g chardonnay vinegar
300g sunflower oil
- Place the yolks, horseradish cream, water and vinegar into a thermomix on speed 4 and slowly add the sunflower oil (mayonnaise method).
- Season to taste and adjust the consistency with a small amount of boiling water if necessary.
Ingredients for the aero
485g white chocolate
20g sesame oil
- Melt the chocolate over a bain marie
- Fold the sesame into melted chocolate
- Place into espuma gun and foam into container over ice in vac pac
- Seal until air is incorporated and set
- Slice the apple on Japanese Mandolin to the size of 10cm x 6cm.
- Compress in apple juice.
Ingredients for the smoked eel consomme
3 smoked eel bones
3 litres chicken stock
4 egg whites
1 white leek
1 clove of garlic
3 sprigs of thyme
2 chicken breasts
- Finely dice the vegetables
- Bring the bones and stock to a light simmer and continually skim
- Add the veg and egg and chicken to clarify
- Cook out for 3 hours on a gentle heat
- Pass through muslin
- Set 200g of the clarified stock, with 3g of bronze leaf gelatin (bloom gelatin in cold water before hand and squeeze out any excess water.)
- Add to the consommé, pass into suitable container and allow to set.
- Roll the eel mousse into the compressed apple
- Brush with alsace reduction
- Blow torch portioned eel and brush with oil
- Top each aero piece with caviar
- Finish with mustard frills
Watch this culinary maestro at work in the Chefs’ Theatre presented by Proper Job at 1.15pm on Sunday.